HBO Orders THE IDOL To Series
- HBO has ordered the drama series THE IDOL, co-created by Sam Levinson (HBO’s “Euphoria”), Abel “The Weeknd” Tesfaye and Reza Fahim. The series will be filmed in and around Los Angeles.
- Amy Seimetz (“The Girlfriend Experience,” “Atlanta,” “She Dies Tomorrow,” “Sun Don’t Shine”) is set to direct all six episodes and will also serve as an executive producer.
- Cast previously announced: Abel “The Weeknd” Tesfaye and Lily-Rose Depp
- Logline: THE IDOL, set against the backdrop of the music industry, centers on a self-help guru and leader of a modern-day cult, who develops a complicated relationship with an up-and-coming pop idol.
- Quote from Francesca Orsi, Executive Vice President, HBO Programming: “When the multi-talented Abel ‘The Weeknd’ Tesfaye, Reza Fahim and Sam Levinson brought us THE IDOL, it was clear their subversive, revelatory take on the cult of the music industry was unlike anything HBO had ever done before. Shortly after, the brilliant duo of Joe Epstein and Amy Seimetz joined forces with the rest of the team, and this dream became a reality.”
- Credits: Co-creators Sam Levinson (HBO’s ”Euphoria”), Abel “The Weeknd” Tesfaye & Reza Fahim; Executive producers/writers Sam Levinson, Abel “The Weeknd” Tesfaye, Reza Fahim and Joe Epstein; Executive producer/director Amy Seimetz; Executive producers Kevin Turen (HBO’s ”Euphoria”), Ashley Levinson (HBO’s ”Euphoria”), Nick Hall (HBO’s “The White Lotus”) and Sara E. White (“Station 19”); Executive produced by A24; Executive producers for BRON Aaron Gilbert.