Fall is harvest time! Celebrate by picking your own apples. Two farms near Vancouver have u-pick orchards. Read on to discover everything you need to know about apple picking in Vancouver this autumn.
Apple Picking Tips
- Check farm websites before you go to see which varieties are ripe.
- Follow signs and staff directions to make sure you head to the parts of the orchard with the ripest apples.
- Dress for the weather. Bring rain gear for wet days and sunscreen for warm ones.
- Leave your dog at home. They aren’t allowed on the farms.
- To pick an apple, roll it upward off the branch and twist the stem a bit. If the stem comes off easily, the apple is ripe and ready to pick.
Willow View Farms
This family-owned and operated Abbotsford farm has been selling fresh produce for nearly 30 years. They offer u-pick plums, pears, and pumpkins. And of course, if it’s apples you’re after they have 20 different varieties including popular options like Gala, Honeycrisp, and McIntosh, and heritage apples including Northern Spy and Gravenstein.
Make a day of it by bringing your own lunch and enjoying it at their picnic area or purchasing snacks from the concession (open on weekends). Be sure to try their signature apple cider slushies!
Location: 288 McCallum Road, Abbotsford
Hours: Monday to Saturday 9 am to 5:30 pm; Sunday 11 am to 5:30 pm
More Info: willowviewfarms.com
Taves Family Farms Applebarn
U-pick apples are the main attraction at Taves Family Farms, but they have u-pick goji berries, plums, and pumpkins too. Visit the Applebarn Country Store to pick up all kinds of apple products including cider, pies, preserves, apple butter, and sweet treats. They make their own apple cider on-site – you can watch it being made through the cider viewing window at the Applebarn.
Bring your kids to enjoy fall family fun by purchasing an Applebarn Pass. It includes corn mazes, a petting zoo, a playground, hayrides, a pumpkin patch, and more.
Location: 333 Gladwin Road, Abbotsford
Hours: 9:30 am to 6 pm daily
Admission: $6 for access to the u-pick orchard, store, and petting barn. Additional fees for Applebarn passes.
More Info: tavesfamilyfarms.com
By Taryn Eyton
Source Inside Vancouver